Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Read Across America Linky Party

I am having a Read Across America Linky Party!  Share your ideas!  Let's all celebrate Dr. Seuss! I will start off first with what I have planned based on Green Eggs and Ham.  I have also included a few downloads.  :)

Green Eggs and Ham (I Can Read It All by Myself Beginner Books)

My students will work independently or in small groups to complete the literacy activities.  Here is what I have planned so far. 

  • Reader's Theatre:  Students will work in pairs to read the book while working on developing fluency and reading with expression. 
  •  Contractions:  I will have them write words such as would not, do not into contractions. 
  •  Green Eggs and Ham Word Hunt: Using copies of their Reader's Theatre script or the book, students will look for the words used in the book.
  • Rhyming:  I like to use plastic eggs and have students match rhyming words from the story.
  • Recipe Writing:  Usually, green eggs and ham is served for breakfast.  I will have students write how to make them. 
What are your plans for Read Across America?   Join the fun!  Write about your Read Across America ideas and link it back to this site! 

Happy Learning and Teaching!






Update: The Dr. Seuss Corporation does not allow the sharing of any Dr. Seuss related teacher created materials.  

9 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I think that I am a little biased because my Kindergarten teacher's name was Mrs. Parker :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've awarded you the Stylish Blogger award!

    http://1stgradewithmisssnowden.blogspot.com/2011/02/me-stylish-haha-thanks.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, it seems that missmernagh.com had some technical difficulties earlier today!! I have re-set the links for my Dr Seuss printables and they should now open. If any of you are still having problems please do let me know and I will email them directly to you.
    Cathriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great resources!!! I'll be doing some Dr. Seuss activies this week also. Stop by my blog to see how things turn out!

    Takara
    www.thirstforfirst1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking to my Linky party. http://www.obSEUSSed.com/p/books.html
    These are great resources for Read Across America week. The Reader's Theatre sounds fun!
    ObSEUSSed (Victoria)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will fix the links this weekend. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying to link up but I don't see the widget.
    Mel D
    Seusstastic Classroom Inspirations

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing these ideas! I'm working on planning a Literacy Night for Read Across America and I appreciate the suggestions!

    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete