Vowel Pairs

This week we began a more in depth look at vowel pairs.  I must say that the kids are doing wonderfully. 

First, we reviewed our Vowel Pairs Powerpoint.  Go here to read more.  Then, we learned a new song.  Whenever possible, I try to introduce new concepts through song, movement or both.  This song was published several years ago through Mailbox. I typed up the words and drew some pictures to go along.
Today, we watched this classic Between the Lions video clip.  Fortunately, I was able to access this through PBS Kids.  Here it is for those of you who are not familiar with it.

Afterwards, my kiddos practiced being vowel pairs.  They were so cute!  They walked around as one "talked" and the other "walked." I wish I could share the pictures.  Instead, I have this photo.


We also discovered Two Vowels Together by Mark D. Pencil.  The class moved to this hip hop song as they worked independently sorting  /ee/ and /ea/ words. 

We will continue practicing this concept as we introduce a  few vowel pairs each week.  During guided reading, I will try to focus on this reading strategy with my struggling readers.  Well, that's what we are doing in our class to learn about vowel pairs. 

Happy Teaching and Learning!

2 comments

  1. I just found your blog and love all your ideas! Thank you for all your hard work =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing. This is great for my twin first graders. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top