Doubles and Doubles Plus 1

This week we are returning to school after a very long Spring break; three weeks in fact.  While many of you are counting the days until the end of the year, we still have 8 weeks of school.

During break, I gave my students this wonderful resource to help with math fact memorization.  We will begin taking timed tests next week.  I plan on giving lots of practice tests during the week and a formal assessment on Fridays.

Our math focus for the week is doubles, doubles plus 1 and adding a 10; all in a 4 day school week.  Wow!  To introduce these concepts, students will work in pairs using a deck of cards.   Students will pick one card and then, double it.  Easy!  Many already know their doubles so I am primarily introducing this simple game.  Later, we will expand this game to include the double plus 1 more.

Click on picture to download Doubles and Doubles Plus 1 Workmat
In order to save paper, these workmats will go into page protectors.  I will only copy a few to go into our math centers.  When we are working whole group, we will use dry erase boards instead.

I also created a Help Box for my students to help them understand the concept Doubles Plus 1.  I find that many students just count on when solving problems such as 8 + 9.  

What do you think?  I've used a Help Box before especially in math but nothing as detailed as this.  Is is simple enough for students to understand independently?

Mastering the Basic Math Facts in Addition and Subtraction: Strategies, Activities, and Interventions to Move Students Beyond Memorization
On another note, I am thinking about purchasing this book as part of my summer reading.  I was wondering if anyone has read it.   I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Please share.  I love your comments!  

Happy Teaching and Learning!



6 comments

  1. I totally love the idea of a help box. I have been working on something along this line, but yours looks won.der.ful! Thank you for sharing your talents!

    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting on Math Monday! So glad to see you there!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really interesting. I think we all need to look beyond memorizing facts because it is limited in its effectiveness. I am not sure I can take on one more book but this one looks important!
    This summer we should start a blog summer reading club with a professional book. How cool would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be great! I'd order the book if I had others interested in it too. Let's see if we can gather some people to join.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh!!! I would LOVE a blog book club... Such a GREAT idea! I wonder if one of you would host it? Would you like me to host it?

    Fran you are sOoO SMART!

    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your explanations for math! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top