Sunday, April 3, 2011

Place Value Robot

I Have, Who Has Math Gr. 1-2 (I Have, Who Has?)A few weeks ago, we were working on Place Value.   Understanding tens and ones in regards to 1 more, 1 less, 10 more, and 10 less was difficult for some. We played lots of I Have, Who Has games to teach this concept.  I loved these games because they helped us to become familiar with the Hundreds Board.  The games required a little prep and could be differentiated based on level.

Later, as we worked in our workbooks, I found that some kids were still confused.  They did not have enough schema with the Hundreds Board to visualize where and how to find the answer.  I did not want them to always rely on counting.  Instead, we reviewed the vocabulary more and less.  Then, we talked about what happened to the digits if it was 1 more or 10 less.  Then, on the spur of the moment,  I quickly drew a Place Value Robot, as I called him.  We pretended to be the robot.  The beginning digit was on our tummy.  If we needed 10 more, we touched our toes.  This reminded us we needed to look down on the Hundreds Board.  If it was 10 less, we touched our heads.  One less was to the left and one more was on the right.  Get it?
Click on colored link to download.

For some reason, this simple design really worked for my kiddos.  Thought you might like it too!  Love to hear if you use it!

Happy Teaching and Learning!


5 comments:

  1. Simply put, genius! Thanks for sharing. I will use this with my friends who are still struggling with the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I think this will be great for my students (special ed) who still struggle with number sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! This year I have been using the center activities from:
    http://www.k-5mathteachingresources.com/addition-and-subtraction.html
    for 15 minutes each day. Children work on activities based on where they are on the continuum. This has really helped me to understand the different stages children go through when developing addition and subtraction skills and to plan centers accordingly. It was a lot of work to set up initially but it has been worth it as I've seen growth in both skills and confidence in all my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the compliments.
    @Jane - Thank you for the resource. I will be looking at the website to add components to my math program.
    @Angelina - Yes, it does help my student with special needs as he is a visual learner. Let me know how it works for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in awe of your wonderful explanations for math. I plan to use this to help my students learn to use the 100's chart. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete