Counting My Blessings

During the holidays, I am often reminded how blessed I am.  Today, I would like to share with you one of my favorite Christmas stories.  So, I created a movie using my Flip camera.  (Sorry, if it is not the best quality.  It is hard to read and videotape but I tried my best.)  Every time I read this story, I cry.  So, please excuse my crying.

video


As I read, I am reminded of my mother who was a migrant worker and the tough childhood she endured.  But I also think of my students; many of whom live in poverty.  Some, may not have any gifts to open this holiday season except for the one I gave them.   I think of my former student, who sleeps on the floor because he has no bed of his own.  I can't help but wonder if they are okay.  No child should be without.

So, as I sit here, enjoying the warmth of my home and the wonder that the holiday season brings to many of us, I like to stop and count my blessings.  I am lucky!  I could be just like Panchito or many of the students that I teach; but I made it.  I overcame the hardships in my life.

Are you blessed?


5 comments

  1. I came to your blog today and when I read your post I wanted to listen. I have had one thing on my mind bothering me and searching for an answer. As I was making bows for a project that I was never able to finish due to school responsibilities I listened. I cried. Thanks for your post... Merry Christmas Mrs. Parker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B.e.A.u.T.i.F.u.L!

    Your name was drawn from my Dancin' For JOY reflections so a donation is being made to the Leukemia Society in your honor!!!

    Merry Christmas, Sylvia. Thank you for your influence in my life this year.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I have to say I am blessed and I have to remember that! =) Have a great holiday!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue Skies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs. Parker:

    I love your blog and am now following!! And yes I am very very blessed. Especially to be able to contribute to kids' lives with my talents. I do hope you'll visit my blog and give me some feedback!!

    Merry Christmas!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful post (and such a treat to hear your voice). Thank you for all of your sweet words throughout this year. May you continue to be blessed this season and in the coming year ahead.
    - Sydney

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top