"Greening" Your Classroom

Earth Day is only a few days away.  But I hope to give you some ideas that may help make every day "Earth Day" in your classroom.

Tip #1 Green Your Bulletin Board
When I first started teaching, my bulletin boards were butchered paper in every color. I loved it!  Over time, my needs have changed. This book helped me to think about the choices I made in my classroom. It lead me to rethink about my decor.

So, I changed it up....


I use fabric, a full flat sheet, that I tug tightly and staple onto my bulletin board.  Can you tell this is three years old?  What a time-saver and green way to decorate!  I have found that I like the "look" of my classroom because everything matches; black, white, and lime green.

Tip #2 Think Before You Laminate
This is a hard one especially with all the great resources I find on other blogs.  But, I really try to think, does this need to me laminated; knowing that over time I may throw it away and it ends up in a landfill.  Many times I use sheet protectors.
In this case, I wanted the Money Mat to be used and protected during its use.  The benefits of the sheet protector is that kids can write on it with a dry erase markers.  I can copy less if it is for a center and I can reuse the sheet protector again and again for other similar projects.

Tip #3 Keep those scraps
Not every paper ends up in the recycling can.  I save some in a large container.  These scraps come in handy for many types of activities such as practicing cutting skills with various types of scissors or for tear art projects.  I love to just give kids all access to this container and see what they can come up with.


How do you make your classroom green?  Share your tips.

Happy Teaching and Learning!

7 comments

  1. Sheet protectors are my new favorite supply. I've been using them a ton for my centers. It saves big time on copying. Great tips for keeping the classroom green. I've asked parents to send in books they are no longer using at home. It's a great way to add to my library and gives parents a place to send their books.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I'm guilty of using a ton of paper in my classroom
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a "scrap" drawer of leftover paper. Love the fabric bulletin boards. I painted my bulletin boards. I have been in the same room for 5 years, and haven't changed the "background" color. They still looks great and saves me tons of time!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestions.

    Sue
    theverybusykindergarten :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas! I also use sheet protectors. Love them for reducing paper waste. I have been also using my Promethean board not only for our activities but as a way to reduce the amount of copying waste that in the past I would use for writing prompts and etc.

    I am a new follower.

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sheet protector idea. We go through TONS of laminate sheets. We could save a ton for most of our worksheets. Of course most need laminated but 75% usually don't. :) Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! First off, those giraffes are ADORABLE!! Secondly, I have come to the same conclusion about laminating this year mostly due to the fact that our laminator was broken from Thanksgiving until about a month ago!! And thirdly, I LOVE saving scraps and reusing them for different purposes. I do a lot of "here's a pile of paper...make ____" activities with my kids depending on what we are learning about at the time and we made all kinds of stuff from scraps.

    Glad I found you!!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top