Who Are the People in Your Neighborhood?


As we wrap up the last few weeks of school, we are learning about our community workers.   Each day we read and write about a community worker.  We are using this wonderful and simple resource from Kindergarten Hoppenings to write about each community worker.  In addition, we complete an easy art craft or activity to compliment what we are learning. So far, we've made fire fighter helmets, police hats, and wrote a letter home for the mail carrier to deliver.  

Like the frames? I got them here
I hope to culminate the unit by having the students make a community models complete with buildings, cars and people. I saw this several years ago before I taught kindergarten and have always wanted to try it.  Wish up luck! 

Here are a few books that we are using during this unit.


Happy Teaching and Learning!

3 comments

  1. I LOVE your community helpers unit! There's a cool book called Tag Along Tom by Kimberly Johnson that tells the tale of a boy who actually shadows the community helpers on their jobs one day that my kids really enjoyed. I don't have many good ones that have to do with careers but your recommendations rock!

    Sending summertime smiles,

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neighbourhood units are always fun to do! You and I have a lot of of the same books I see :)
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top