Guest Blogger - Author Maria Dismondy

   Books that Strengthen Classroom Community 
by Maria Dismondy
blogpost.jpeg
I was a classroom teacher for 12 years. I can't tell you how many times I went to the library to find the perfect book to really bring a lesson to life or to simply reiterate an important point I was trying to teach my class and I came home empty handed. In 2007, I had the crazy idea to write a children's book. I wanted to write books that teachers and parents could really use to make a difference in their children's lives. Not only did I want to write one, but I wanted to speak to schools across Michigan and some how pay it forward. Here we are in 2012 and I am loving life as a children's author! And talking to kids about bullying? I spoke to almost 10,000 children in one month alone!

A little about my books and how they will help you in your classroom (or home).

Spaghetti In A Hot Dog Bun:Having the Courage to Be Who You Are is all about self-esteem and bullying. It's about focusing on the individual. We need to spend time building up individual students esteem so that they can be confidant and participating members of the classroom community. 

The Juice Box Bully: Empowering Students to Stand Up For Others
My second book, co-authored with Bob Sornson, was written with the intention to reach out to the bystanders. We wanted children to learn how to be a team and to stand up for each other.

My most recent book is about a subtle type of bullying that I saw in the classroom all. the. time. It's about three friends who play and one is always left out. It's about friends who threaten others and say things like, "You can't be my friend, if you don't..." 

Visit me over at my blog, Be The Difference. I write about parenting, teaching, child development and about living life to the fullest!
You can find out more about my books over at my website.
Maria Dismondy
Award-winning and Best-Selling Author

I'd love to thank Maria for sharing why she began writing her award winning books with us. I am always looking for literature which touches upon a range of topics.  I know that each of these books would be a perfect fit in many classrooms as we begin to set norms for the year.   

3 comments

  1. YaY Maria! We just LOVE your books and cannot wait for #4! Our favorite is Spaghetti, your first born, but that's just cause Lucy is SO. Darn. CUTE!

    Summertime smiles and happy hugs,

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara and Mrs. Parker for having me as a guest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some must haves. Heading over to check them out! Congratulations to Maria for following her goals!

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top