Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Snack

We made our first snack of the school year.  This was a perfect opportunity to introduce "How to" writing which is part of the Common Core standards. 

To make your own, you'll need:
graham cracker sticks
apples
grapes
Alpha bit cereal (I found it at Target)

Here is what our chart looked like in the beginning.  Unfortunately, there are no photos of the end product.
Along the way, the students used descriptive language to tell me what to write.  For example, put 2 grapes on the coconut tree.  Or add 3 apples on top of the tree trunk.

It was a wonderfully delicious snack and a perfect way to end the second week of school.

What are you doing to teach how to writing?  Share your ideas.  

6 comments

  1. I'm sooooo doing this. What a clever and fun way to get a standard covered. We started Imagine It (Open Court) and I'm having a hard time with how "dry" it is. I will have to find a way to fit this in and keep the "fidelity" of the program. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting a new reading program with fidelity too. I did this during our science/social studies time. Listening and following directions is a social studies skill. Like you, I still want to embed as much fun into learning as I can.

      Delete
  2. Excellent ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I LOVE your blog! You are so creative! Thanks for all your great sharing ideas! I want to share a freebie with you! I have a Halloween Candy Corn Activity that you can download from my blog! Check it out! teach2blossom.blogspot.com Just as a little thank you!
    Kaija Purvis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute snack and an amazing way to introduce how to writing! Thanks for sharing :)

    Lisa

    Stories from Room 114

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top