Saturday, February 15, 2014

Five for Friday - Valentime's Edition

It was a busy and short week in our classroom!   I tried to cram in as much learning and crafting as I possibly could this week.  

Some of our required texts centered around frogs. I knew I wanted to do more. So, I read these two books; pictured below and compared fiction and nonfiction text.   We made these adorable Froggys and Frogilinas courtesy of First Grade Blue Skies.  I modified her templates due to time constraints and class needs.  


Thank you, First Grade Blue Skies for your creativity!

We spent a few days making our Parent Valentine's gifts.  Crayons and Whimsy shared this adorable idea of having the kids dress up as Valentines.  My class loved the poem and could recite it by the end of the week.  To compliment the outfit, I purchased the Valentine crowns from KinderAlphabet.


Here is the completed outfit.  As the class walked out, I knew it is these moments that makes teaching kindergarten worth it all.  Their smiles were unforgettable.  





Between testing, student illnesses and a sub, we had little time to make our own Valentine's bags.  Instead, I purchased gift bags; red for girls and teal for boys.  I wrote each child's name and put a photo of each child on the bag.  This helps my students find their friends' bag.  After all the cards were passed out, I stapled them shut and sent them home.  This way my students had a gift of their own to take home.  















One of our centers was building with Lincoln Logs.  As a child, this was one of my favorite toys.  I am amazed every year how fewer and fewer students know how to play with these.  Thankfully, I do think I may have a future engineer or architect.  She had never played with these but was able to create this on her own.
















Finally, I am so excited to attend this conference.  I will only be able to attend on Saturday but I can't wait to learn from teachers who inspire and make me a better teacher.  Are you going?



Thanks Doodle Bugs Teaching for hosting this weekly linky party.


Here's to a great weekend!  I have 2 more days! YEAH!

Happy Teaching!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you are coming to the conference, Sylvia! We will get to meet in person! Make sure you drop by my booth or one of my sessions so I can give you a hug!
    Thanks!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete