Sunday, June 22, 2014

Dreaming of Summer

source

It seems like the days get longer as the count down to summer begins. It gets a bit harder each week as teachers and students from around the US begin their summer vacations.  (Just in case you are wondering, I have 9 more school days.) 

Here's what I've been up to while you all have been enjoying summer.

Sea Animals Research Projects
During the last month of school, we began our research projects on sea animals. Due to all the madness of the preparing for the end of the year, it really does take about a month to get all the learning and researching complete.  We started by making this cute craft.  I added the writing component.


Next, we visited Sea World where we saw many animals up close.


This week, we will present our research projects to our kindergarten friends and families.


Groups of students work together to make a presentation board. I guide them every step of the way.  They each create something for the board and will speak about their sea animal.  You can read about the books we used here and see how we create these boards here.

Field Trip Chaperon
One of the advantages of having your child attend your school is that you get to participate in class activities including attending field trips.  So, I've spent a few days away from my classroom so that I could spend them with my son while enjoying a trip to the zoo and the Children's Museum.


Teacher Finds
I'm not sure about you but TPT is my go to place for teacher finds.  With the end of the year testing, it usually means that I can't spend as much time as I like with my kiddos in small groups.  Here are a few great resources that I found to keep my kids learning while I am testing.

I began using DeeDee's Word Games with my intervention groups and they loved it.  So, I have integrated them into my Word Work centers.  The kids are engaged and busy practicing their blending skills.  For this game, I added fishing poles and a hula hoop to serve as a lake.  Instant hit!


Looking for something new to add to weekly Teacher's Choice center, I stumbled across this great resource! The kids can't wait to get to this center to have their turn at pinning the weekly sight word.  It was so quiet while they worked on the carpet! It was even intriguing to my 7 year old who had to make his own.  

This ABC chain is perfect for keeping kids busy.  I had each child make their own chain.  It did take some time.  So, next time, I would probably break this activity up over the course of the week.  The kids had fun comparing how long their chain was versus their friend's and worked happily.


Well, that's what I've been up to.  In the meantime, I'll be counting the days until I can have this view.  


Thanks, Michelle for hosting.



Dreaming of summer,

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Wow you have been busy! I love all your sea animal research! I can't believe you are still teaching and not on summer break yet. I'm going to guess it is from all the snow storms up north this year. You'll still be on break in August though when the rest of us are going back to school!

    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete