Happy May the Fourth Be With You Day!
I just wanted to quickly share how I used this Star Wars based day to teach force and motion to my class.
We dedicated the entire morning to exploring force and it how it works via hands-on centers.
First, we talked about our science vocabulary:
force motion push pull
The objective at each center was to discover if and how you used force. They also explored what was the reaction based upon the force used.
- Launch Star Wars Angry Birds using various catapults
- Build a domino maze and knock it down
- Give stuffed animals a ride on a train
- Car races using different ramps and types of cars
- Use Playdoh shapes to push and pull
We also went outside and pushed each other on the swings and tried to do a pull up on the monkey bars. Had time permitted, we would have pretended to ride on a roller coaster using the fun GoNoodle video.
It was a great day of learning. How do you teach force and motion to your kindergarten students?