Anchor Charts to Support Comprehension

Do you use anchor charts to support students understanding?

Here are a few charts to help support my students understand basic comprehension skills.  The key words are color coded so that the kids can make a connection between these words.


Be sure to include animals, people and diversity. 



We are putting these skills to practice during our read aloud time. It has also helped my speech students who have difficulty understanding the W words (who, what, when, and where).

Using familiar text will help students connect to these comprehension skills.

Happy Teaching and Learning!

8 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing. I would love to share this on my blog in the coming days. I love how simple this is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posters! I think it is great to have the picture along with the words. Visual clues are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Such a great idea so the children have ownership over the concept! Thumbs up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Did the kids get to help make them at all?
    Heidi Butkus
    http://heidisongs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those! Hope it is okay to borrow these anchor chart ideas.
    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Heidi,
    The class had input as to what characters to use. I copied lots of them and we talked about our favorites. For the setting, I limited their choices because I wanted it to be a concrete visual instead of just a hill, or house. I did do the headings ahead of time. Everything else was in front of the kids including where I hung them in the room.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top