Books that #CelebrateDiversity

I am honored to be able to spotlight Maria Dismondy's latest book, Chocolate Milk, Por Favor!

Maria is well known for writing books which #CelebrateDiversity.  As a former classroom teacher turned award-wining author, Maria creates books that make a difference by empowering children with courage and confidence.

Chocolate Milk, Por Favor! is no different.  In fact, it may be my favorite!  In this book, Gabe is a newcomer and learns to navigate through school despite his lack of English skills. Johnny, his classmate, doesn't understand why Gabe is getting all the attention. Learn how chocolate milk plays a role in Johnny's discovery that actions speak louder than words.

One unique feature of the this book are the Teacher Tips.  Personally, Your Name is Important reminded me of an experience that happened in our family. As a child, my sister had her name changed by the school. Yes, the school! When my parents enrolled us, they told them that her name was to hard to pronounce so that they could call her this instead.  Unbeknownst to them, my parents agreed.  It stuck and to this day, it is the name my sister uses.  Today, we would think of this as unacceptable but it does happen, in subtle ways; usually in our attempts to use the English version of one's name.

As a minority teacher and a teacher of minority students, I feel it is important to read books which have characters that not only look like us but share the message of acceptance and understanding.  I must admit that finding these types of books can be a challenge. Thankfully, there are authors like Maria Dismondy who strive to celebrate inclusion.


I am delighted to add Chocolate Milk, Por Favor! to my collection of Books that #CelebrateDiversity.  I hope that you, too, will add this book to your collection.  Maria Dismondy has graciously offered a signed copy of her book, Chocolate Milk, Por Favor!, to readers of this blog.  All you have to do is leave a comment. Perhaps, share how you celebrate diversity in the classroom or make a book recommendation.  I will select a person to receive this book on Friday, April 17th.

In the meantime, enjoy listening to Maria read, Chocolate Milk, Por Favor!.



Happy Teaching!

UPDATE: Comment number 1 was selected as the winner of Maria's book.





4 comments

  1. After reading your post, I think I need to be much more aware of celebrating diversity. We do read and discuss books like The Name Jar and we are big proponents of tolerance, but have not extended that much to celebrating diversity. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a reading teacher I have the unique opportunity to often discuss the diversity elements in the story. Our school is full of children from many countries around the world. Teachers have the privilege as well as a responsibility to assist children in understanding the difference they can make to their classmates.Your post not only alerted me to a new tool but served as a reminder to be make an effort to see through the eyes of our students. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful book! Although I couldn't use it in my classroom, I certainly know a few teachers at my school who could! :)

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like an amazing book! I would love to read this book with my kids. Some books that we love are: The Colors of Us, The Sandwich Swap, Amazing Grace. The list could go on and on!! Thanks so much for sharing! differentiationstation@ gmail.com
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top