Self Portraits Made Easy

I love how children draw themselves.  Each is as unique as they are.  I like to have my students draw self portraits several times during the year.  It is amazing to see their growth and development.

Recently, I shared my students' self portraits on Instagram.  Several teachers wanted to know more about them.


I have a little secret that helps keep these self portraits large rather than small.  I give them a starting point by drawing a u-like shape on their paper. This makes a huge different in getting a good sized portrait.



We complete all our drawings in pencil first; no erasing.  Depending on the time of year,  I may model and coach them on how to draw different features.  For the one displayed above, I gave them the paper and they completed them independently.

Students trace with marker before coloring. I try to emphasize that they should press hard as they color to get a bold look.

Here is what our self portraits looked like at the beginning of the year.







I think these are the perfect anytime of the year.  

Happy Teaching!

3 comments

  1. Sylvia these are really precious. You have done such a great job on this. I love this post!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top