Understanding Number

Wow!  Did you read this week's blog post on Math Work Stations? If you haven't, click on over to Kindergarten Crayons.




As I read this week's chapter, I could not help but wonder how this would relate to the California Common Core Standards.   Here is an overview of what math may look like in kindergarten.
To read the entire document, click on the image.

I created these Number Cards which you could use with your class as part of your Math Routines.  They work well when teaching Counting and Cardinality.  Give students individual ten frames (located in the back of the book) to count and practice with you.  Show students two cards and have them compare the numbers.  When you feel your students have mastered these place them in a Math Work Station along with your classroom created I Can Chart.  
Who doesn't love puzzles?  Inspired by the number cards, I made Number Puzzles.  All you will need to do is print onto card stock paper, laminate and cut.  Wondering where to cut?  Well, that is up to you.  For students who can read the number, you will make them a 3 piece puzzle.  Great for early first grade students.  Or if they are just beginning to understand number, make a 2 piece puzzle instead by cutting out the bottom third. 
I'm planning on copying onto different colored card stock paper so that I can have more than one student working on this concept but a different work stations.  

Happy Teaching and Learning!



PS-  Is is just me? Or isn't this blog book study the greatest!  :)

24 comments

  1. I'm in LOVE with your number cards. You have to create more!!! Your number puzzle link was the same as the number cards, just wanted to let you know.

    I agree with your thought about the book study. Fantastic reflections and free grabs!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your cards. I keep wamting to sit and create something to share, but you guys have shared so much that it is hard to keep up :). Seriously, thank you for all you have shared. I am loving the book study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. Parker,
    Thank you so much for linking up with me and making these cards. They are perfect for my kids. I teach all number knowledge in a grid and I love the puzzle idea. I am in California so I will be looking at those core standards this summer carefully. I appreciate all the hard work you have done. There is so much talent in Blogland.
    Fran@kindergartencrayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the number cards and puzzles- these will be perfect for my kinders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am in California and am loving these cards. I've been creating like a mad woman. So much for being on vacation-LOL
    Tiffani
    Time 4 Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting these! I have ten frame cards with black dots that I use as flash cards in my class every day. My kids love them!! They were super hepful in increasing our TEMI (a tx math test) scores too. :)
    ~Crystal
    www.kreativeinkinder@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing these. What a great resource for next year! We use ten frames a lot in my district (RI), so these will be perfect! Thanks again!

    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book study is great! It is always fun to talk (even via web) with folks that are as excited about teaching as I am. Too bad we cannot all be in the same building! Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I L.O.V.E these cards! I love all of these resources. I am going to be SoOoO ready for next year. Thanks for hooking me UP!
    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the cards! They are excellent for my little learners!

    Happy teaching!

    Alessia
    mrsalbanesesclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing the cards and the puzzles! I can't wait to use them in my classroom next year.
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for making these cards. it was on my list of things to do this summer and now all I have to do is save, print, laminate, and cut! My district is expecting Kdg and First to fully implement common core this upcoming year so I am searching for great resources. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the cards! I love your Blog! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. Thank you for sharing your creation! They will come in handy next year and they are FREE! That is great but the best part is that you are willing to share! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your number cards and puzzles. Do you have the numbers up to 20? I teach first grade and up to 20 would be great for the beginning of the year for us. I would be glad to purchase if you have them on Tpt or other teacher store.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these number cards!! When I click on your link it won't allow me to retrieve the docs, any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know why it is not working. You can also find them at my Teachers Notebook Shop. Click on the sidebar link to take you there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My kindergarten teacher was looking for more number frames activities to support a few of her kiddos, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing. Do you have 11-20 too??

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with the others, you should make them up to 30!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top