Changes



Lots has changed since I sat down to write here. While I still love this, my teacher voice has wavered a bit.

You see, I began the school year without a classroom. For the first time in over a decade, I did not have a class. If any of you have experienced this before, you know, the emptiness one feels. The first day of school was one of the most emotionally draining days of my career. I was now, a Teacher on Special Assignment. 


Unbeknownst to me, this turned out to be a blessing in disguise. At home, my father-in-law was gravely ill. As a family, we spent the next six of weeks traveling to and from work, home and the hospital. 

In October, I took over a fifth grade class while a teacher was on maternity leave. Unexpectedly, the teacher did not return. All of a sudden, I became a teacher of BIG KIDS. 

What I've come to find out is that changing grade levels does not define who I am as a teacher. Rather, it has affirmed my teaching philosophy. Now, more than ever, I see how students need engagement, novelty, play, and choice in their learning regardless of grade levels. That's what I've tried to bring into the classroom. While not always perfect, I am learning. 


Each day, I enter my classroom knowing that it is a blessing that I am their teacher. Perhaps, this was where I was meant to be all along; with them. 

I hope that you'll join me in my journey as I share what I've learned as a fifth grade teacher this school year. 

I don't know what the future holds. But, I do know that I can be the teacher kids need if I am willing to accept the challenge.

2 comments

  1. Ouch! I’m so sorry that this has happened to you! Yet I know that you will be a wonderful teacher to those fifth graders! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and journey with us! Hang in there and keep being the wonderful teacher your students need.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top