Math Work Stations Chapter 7

Geometry
Today's post will be resources that will support your learning during Math Work Stations.  I am wrapping up the end of my school year and I don't have as much time as I'd like to dedicate to this chapter.  :(

I think Colleen did an excellent job explaining what geometry is and is not.

First of all, students will need access to some geometry supplies.
Must Have Supplies


Have enough supplies for partners to use when introducing the geometric shapes.  I usually sort them in ziplock baggies.  Don't forget to give time just for exploration.  Then, model the appropriate use of the learning tools.  Review needed vocabulary.
Go here if you'd like to purchase some of these items.


Introducing Shapes
I thought these two videos would be great when first introducing geometry; especially to younger children.



Math Workstation Idea
Three Pigs, One Wolf, Seven Magic Shapes (level 3) (Scholastic Reader, Math)I like to read Grandfather Tang's Story and create the pictures from this story together.  We usually do this over a period of days.  I think this is a great lesson for older students.  Younger students may enjoy Thee Pigs, One Wolf and Seven Magic Shapes.  I plan to use this with my students because they can read it independently.  I will copy and laminate tangrams that they can use to create the shapes.  Here is the link.  Younger children may need these cards to help them create the animals in the story.  I will be sure to include Math Talk.

I will be back with more suggestions; hopefully, next week when I have a little more time.

Happy Teaching and Learning!



PS-  Just getting started with Math Work Stations.  You can link up here, if you like.  People are still reading earlier chapters.  :)

4 comments

  1. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas you share on your blog. I look forward to the email updates! It has been so rejuvenating to link up with teachers who share a passion for teaching and learning.
    Linda
    http://ateaherstouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the video songs!

    froggyfriendsfun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those videos were super cute! I bookmarked that teacher's Youtube page because he made lots of other school songs/videos. Thanks so much for sharing those and your tangram info!

    Magnificent Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing the youtube videos.....I just order math and literacy station books so I can learn more. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Sue
    http://theverybusykindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top