My Favorite October Book

I use The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything for shared reading each October.  For those of you who are not familiar with it, it is about a little old lady who is being followed by two shoes, one pair of pants, and "other parts." The book lends itself towards having others join in the reading.   


This book is a great book to teach prediction.  Many times, in kindergarten, this is the first time that children are listening to this story.  Towards the end of the story, the author asks the reader a question.  We pause to make our predictions.

Click here for your copy.
Here are other ways you can use the story.  Last year, my first graders and I recorded ourselves reading the story.  The class had so much fun listening to themselves.  I found a Reader's Theatre that I would use with older students or could adapt with my class this year.  Make Learning Fun has an array of literacy activities.

Do you have a favorite book for October? Please share.
Photobucket

Happy Teaching and Learning!

9 comments

  1. Thanks for the book suggestion. I've seen the book before but never read it. I'll have to add it to my list of read alouds for this month!
    ~Meredith
    Keen on Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. Parker,
    I’ve nominated your blog for an award! Visit the link below to copy/paste the Blog on Fire button. Share seven things about yourself and pass the award along to some "hot" blogs you follow. Congrats and Happy October!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! I like to use to as a sequencing lesson. I love your idea of the kids reading it aloud. You could add sounds and all kinds of fun things. Great idea! Also, I'd love to see what you come up with from Frankie Stein. It's such a cute book. ~Amanda @
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like "It's Halloween" by Jack Prelutsky. It's a great way to introduce the imagery of the season.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh...I almost forgot, "My Monster Mama Loves Me So." I love, love, love the illustrations. Author Laura Leuck.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite book too! Thank you so much for posing the prediction book and readers theatre I will use these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there!
    I heart your blog and nominate for an award. Grab it here:
    http://ingles360.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-heart-your-blog-award1.html
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cute little blog, so I've decided to give you the Versatile Blogger Award. Check it out!

    http://day-in-first-grade.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-world-how-i-have-missed-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just wondering the name of the font that you used for the document you made to go with the story. I've been seeing it around a ton of blogs, but can't find it anywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top