This and That

My kids are doing a great job getting into the groove of being in school.  For the most part, they have a pretty good attention span and can "work independently" for about 10 minutes.  I have been able to complete some pre-reading and math assessments using my free trail offer through ESGI.  I really love the instant feedback you get from the assessment.  So, unlike our current system.  (Click on the link in my sidebar to find out more. ) 


I am hoping to begin Math Work Stations next week.  So, this week we are practicing a few math games that will become the basis of some of our work stations.  We learned about taking turns while playing CandyLand.  We also played a dice game based on Brown Bear, Brown Bear.



The kids did a great job!  Our mini lesson focused on recognizing the number of dots without counting.  Many were able to do this at least up to four.  Not bad, for our first go at this.  Then, we got to use the dice to roll and color our Brown Bear Worksheet.  This was a great way to practice our colors and counting without it looking like that's what they were doing.  :)  We even had time to share our work and analyze the data.

How are math work stations going for you?  Your words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.  I'd love to hear what's happening in your room.

Happy Teaching and Learning!

10 comments

  1. I love this. THanks so much. Some of my kids really need the reinforcement on their colors. This is fabulous. I LOVE ESGI too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In first grade this year, our team decided to hold off teaching Everyday Math for 3 weeks. Instead, we're doing number sense activities and LOTS of simple math games. (Most of these were from some awesome, generous bloggers who had great ideas!) We even brainstormed good vs. bad things to say to someone who lost a game. So now as they play, I hear so many nice comments! And I really have a sense of who my at-risk kids are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! I love this! Using it today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!! I will be using this TODAY!! Thank you so much for sharing all of your awesome ideas!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it. Games are SO good for kids to learn to play! Quick question . . . can you send me the code for that cute little button you made for me so that I can put it on my blog when you get a chance? Thanks!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing on Math Monday! ;)

    Cindy @ love2learn2day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea with the dice to recognize the number! Thank you for sharing!

    http://mrsmayhew.blogspot.com/

    ~Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing! we are starting graphing next week, so this will work perfectly!
    Krissy
    Mrs.Miner’s Monkey Business

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top